The IAOMT Safe Amalgam Removal Protocol
A. PATIENT PROTECTION
*Very healthy patients: Proceed with standard protection with minimal risk
*Patients with mild health problems: Proceed with caution: (biological support and all protections).
*Acutely or chronically ill patients: Danger: Do not proceed – Refer to M.D. for prior treatment – Ensure excretory organs are functional.
- Biological Support
- Activated charcoal slurry rinse and swallow
- Alternate air source with nasal bond
- Isolation: rubber dam and/or Clean-Up
- Use powerful high volume evacuation (suction)
- Use copious amounts of water
- Use of saliva ejector
- Cut out large 'chunks' vs pulverizing
- Protect eyes, hair, skin and clothing
- Thoroughly rinse out mouth 45 seconds
DENTAL PERSONNEL PROTECTION:
- Alternate air source or respirator
- Nitrile gloves or sulfur powder in latex gloves
- Eye and face protection
- Clothing precautions
- Clinic air filtering/ionizing
- Nutrition and supplementation
- Instrument decontamination
Sign up for health tips and more!
Please take a moment to rate your experience
with our team.
© Dr. Kourosh Maddahi, D.D.S. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Developed by Studio III