Expert restorative dentist Kourosh Maddahi outlines the safety procedures necessary when removing amalgam "silver" dental fillings containing mercury.
The IAOMT Safe Amalgam Removal Protocol
A. Patient Protection
*Very healthy patients: Proceed with standard protection with minimal risk.
*Patients with mild health problems: Proceed with caution: (biological support and all protections).
*Acutely or chronically ill patients: Danger: Do not proceed – Refer to M.D. for prior treatment – Ensure excretory organs are functional.
- Biological Support
- Activated charcoal slurry rinse and swallow
- Alternate air source with nasal bond
- Isolation: rubber dam and/or Clean-Up
- Use powerful high volume evacuation (suction)
- Use copious amounts of water
- Use of saliva ejector
- Cut out large 'chunks' vs pulverizing
- Protect eyes, hair, skin, and clothing
- Thoroughly rinse out mouth 45 seconds
Dental Personnel Protection
- Alternate air source or respirator
- Nitrile gloves or sulfur powder in latex gloves
- Eye and face protection
- Clothing precautions
- Clinic air filtering/ionizing
- Nutrition and supplementation
- Instrument decontamination
Dr. Maddahi’s first book hits #1 on Amazon’s best-seller list and gains international press!
The Toxic Overload
The Hidden Epidemic
Dr. Maddahi gives a thorough and easily understood education on today's hidden epidemics of the mouth.